What is the SLI?
The Student Leadership Institute is a highly interactive program for undergraduate student leaders that takes place on Sunday and Monday during the NODA annual conference. It is designed for all undergraduate student leaders regardless if they are new or seasoned staff. Through large and small group discussion formats, your student leaders will have an opportunity to engage with each other and the presenters on various topics of leadership and professional/personal development.
Student Leadership Institute Faculty
The SLI Lead Faculty is responsible for ensuring that SLI fulfills its goal of providing high quality leadership education and personal growth opportunities for undergraduate students at the Annual Conference. The Lead Faculty will work with other SLI Faculty Members, Association leadership, and NODA office staff to build educational content that meet these goals and applicable larger association goals. All SLI faculty members are considered appointed positions and serve at the discretion of the NODA President. Faculty member terms are typically one year, renewable appointments. Applications for SLI Lead faculty are due February 27.
Click here to view the application.
What will my student gain by attending?
The SLI topics selected will engage undergraduate students regardless of their experiences working with orientation/transition/
retention programs. Students will have an opportunity to meet other students in similar roles. Sessions will be interactive and students will be able to share their experiences.
1. Create peer networking opportunities
2. Provide a forum for undergraduates to share best practices related to their work as paraprofessionals in the field of orientation, transition and retention.
3. Offer mentorship connections with faculty
4. Integrate learning from the Annual Conference featured speakers and educational sessions
5. Grow student leadership skills related to orientation, transition and retention
6. Develop strategies to positively impact their institutions and student leadership roles
How do I sign my student up?
A professional can sign their student up for SLI; the registration form is for the NODA Annual Conference, and if you would like your student to attend SLI remember to select that option in the sessions portion of the registration.
For additional information or questions, please contact the Association Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sarah Merrill, Iowa State University