Editor Job Description
The Journal of College Orientation and Transition (JCOT) Editor chairs the JCOT
editorial team. The Editor is responsible for guiding the production of the
Association’s refereed journal.
1. Must be a current member of NODA.
2. A terminal degree in Student Affairs administration, higher education, or
3. Experience and expertise in research design and methodology.
4. Expertise in the issues and topics of orientation, transition, retention,
and student affairs.
5. Organizational and time management skills to effectively manage an ongoing
publication cycle of 2-3 journal issues per year.
6. Ability to travel to some regional and national conferences.
7. Thorough understanding of APA (6th edition) publication style.
1. Effective written and oral communication skills.
2. Able to serve a three-year term.
3. A vision for the future direction of the JCOT
4. Ability to effectively network with
orientation/transition/retention/association colleagues nationally (and perhaps
1. Review, assess and critique manuscripts submitted for publication to the
2. Provide feedback to the JCOT Associate Editors on their assigned manuscripts
in a timely manner.
3. Hire, train, and supervise the JCOT Managing Editor (assuming the managing
editor isn’t based out of the Association Office).
4. Communicate with the Executive Director and Association Office staff about
the JCOT needs and issues (including but not limited to budget requests,
publication deadlines, printing, and mailing).
5. Actively recruit manuscripts for submission to the JCOT.
6. Schedule and participate in editorial board conference calls (as scheduled).
7. Participation in the annual in-person editorial board meeting held in
conjunction with NODA annual conference.
8. Represent the JCOT and NODA in professional settings (if necessary and