Note to candidates: The following materials must be submitted electronically by November 15, 2016.
1. The completed online application.
2. Attachments, including:
- A personal statement regarding your desire to be in this elected role, as well as the strengths you bring. Please address your understanding of NODA structures and processes, as well as your knowledge of basic principles for financial responsibility, budgeting, accounting and reporting in order to enhance the Association.
- A current resume
3. 2 letters of recommendation/support. One letter must be from your immediate supervisor and must mention your financial support for NODA-related travel with recognition that NODA will not reimburse these costs. Letters of recommendation should address applicants:
- Balancing multiple tasks
- Budgeting and account management
- Demonstrating effective communication with various constituents
4. Read the NODA Conflict of Interest Policy before completing your application.
The Nominations Committee may follow up with additional opportunities to promote your candidacy.
*All materials will be available to NODA Members for review during the election period*
The Secretary/Treasurer is responsible for recording all of the proceedings of all meetings of the Association. The Secretary/Treasurer is also responsible for all financial transactions and financial reporting. The Secretary/Treasurer is a member of the Executive Committee.
The Secretary/Treasurer shall serve a two-year term of office.
Requirements & Qualifications
1. Professional membership in NODA for no less than 5 years; NODA membership must be current at application and throughout term
2. Professional experience in higher education for at least 6 years
3. At least 4 years of service in an appointed or elected NODA leadership position
4. Leadership and management experience that reflect the skills needed to fulfill the Secretary/Treasurer’s responsibilities
5. Current employment in orientation, transition and retention and/or student affairs at an institution of higher education at time of application and throughout term
6. Knowledge of, and commitment to, the structure, purposes, and goals of NODA internationally, nationally and regionally
7. Current knowledge of and demonstrated commitment to the field of orientation, transition, and retention (Demonstrated higher-level experience in another student affairs association may be considered)
8. Knowledge and attentiveness to issues relating to diverse constituencies
9. Ability to think strategically and implement change
10. Demonstrated contributions to the scholarship of the Association including, but not limited to: conference presentations or publication submission
11. Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills and represent the Board of Directors to the membership with clarity, professionalism, and integrity
12. Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment balancing the needs of the Association Staff, NODA Leadership, NODA membership, and external constituents
13. Financial support (institutional or personal) is required to cover the travel costs to attend the Board of Director meetings
14. Qualifications preferred as specified by the NODA Board of Directors
15. Knowledge of basic principles for financial responsibility, budgeting, accounting and reporting
Preferred Qualifications (articulated by current Board)
1. Advanced experience in budgeting, accounting and reporting
1. Serve on the Executive Committee and attend all meetings (monthly virtual meetings and one transition meeting in January)
2. Attend three Board of Director meetings (1 in the Fall (annual conference); 1 in the Spring and 1 virtual meeting in July)
3. Chair the Finance Committee
4. Ensure that the Board of Directors and Executive Committee minutes are recorded, reviewed, approved and distributed
5. Certify results of Association elections
6. Provide financial oversight for the Association
7. Review and provide feedback on operating budgets prepared by Association staff for the Association and for the Association Office
8. Present a quarterly financial report on all financial transactions at each meeting of the Board
9. Present an annual financial report that is distributed to all Association members as part of the Annual Report
10. In consultation with the Executive Director, finance committee and appropriate external financial experts, present regular updates on long-term financial strategy
11. In conjunction with the Executive Director, ensure that an audit is conducted of NODA financial records at least every two years
12. Complete other duties as delegated by the President