To emphasize and celebrate the importance of research in the field of orientation, transition, and retention, NODA has an established research award. Each year, one graduate/doctoral student will be awarded a $1,000 financial aid stipend plus the annual conference fee for 2016 (including the annual membership fee) in recognition of excellence in research and contributions to scholarly pursuits.
The Outstanding Research Award is tenable by graduate/doctoral students who are either enrolled in graduate studies and in the process of completing a thesis or dissertation during the 2016-2017 academic year, or who have completed their degree requirements within one year prior to the annual fall conference at which the award will be bestowed. The scholarly research should highlight topics within the field of orientation, transition, and retention.
Award recipients will be invited to present their thesis or dissertation topic at the NODA Annual Conference, and be invited to submit the completed study in manuscript format for possible publication, in part or in full, in the Journal of College Orientation and Transition.
Although your transcript will need to be submitted by mail, please submit the following information electronically:
- Outstanding Research Award Application Form
- Extended abstract in APA style. Abstracts should be between 500 and 750 words, including references, tables, and figures. Submissions must relate to issues and topics concerning new student orientation, transition, and retention. Please submit this abstract as a PDF.
- An official transcript (with verification of current enrollment, if appropriate) at the institution where doctoral work is being (or has been) completed.
- Mail to:
2829 University Ave - Suite 415
Minneapolis, MN 55414
- Two letters of recommendation*, specifically from:
- Graduate research advisor or person who is supervising the graduate research thesis or dissertation.
- A separate faculty member within the specific graduate program, who may comment on the student's contributions to the graduate program.
- You can click here for a PDF of the questions asked in this online form.
Failure to follow the guidelines to the application may lead to
the disqualification of your submission from the awards nomination.
Please review instructions carefully
Applications for the 2016/2017 research award are now closed.
If you have any questions about the award or the process, please contact the NODA Association Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1.866.521.NODA.
NODA declares a policy of equal opportunity and nondiscrimination in the provisions of services to the membership and the public. In recognition of the responsibility to this membership, NODA reaffirms its policy of fair and equal treatment in all practices to all persons regardless of race, color, age, marital status, gender, religion, natural origin, ancestry, sexual/affectional orientation, disability or veteran status.